We currently have some opportunities for new trustees to be appointed. For enquiries, please contact the centre by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us on 020 7586 5272.
Nursery Manager – Swiss Cottage Community Association
Hours of work: 35 per week
Operation of setting: (term time only).
Salary up to £30,412 (pro rata) for the right candidate.
Closing date for applications: 5pm Thursday 16th January 2020.
Background to Role
Swiss Cottage Community Association (SCCA) is a community organisation based in Swiss Cottage in North West London. We run a variety of community activities including our nursery which opened in April 2015 and operates for 38 weeks (term time only) per year.
We are looking for a Nursery Manager to build on the success (Ofsted rating Good in December 2017) of the nursery and who has the professionalism and experience to develop the setting. We are at an exciting time in our development and are looking for the right candidate to ensure the continued success of the nursery provision.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced and qualified individual who wants to contribute to the development of SCCA. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to manage the Nursery and will include the following:
- Managing the nursery spaces
- Marketing the nursery
- Management and recruitment of staff
- Working with Camden Council to develop the nursery provision
You will be committed to maintaining the settings very high standards and continue to lead developments in practice and offer the highest of standards in care and education
You will need to have:
Excellent knowledge of health and safety legislation
Knowledge of OFSTED standards
Excellent knowledge of the EYFS
Excellent organisational skills with the ability to work to targets and deadlines
Purpose of Job
The Nursery Manager (NM) will be expected to provide high quality, flexible childcare for families from the local communities.
The NM will oversee the operation of SCCA’s Children’s services to the highest standards, ensuring that the best possible environment and care are provided for young children.
The Nursery Manager will be expected to build good working relationships at every level. Working in partnership with parents, families and all SCCA staff is highly valued and the Nursery Manager must be approachable, friendly and able to communicate effectively and professionally at all times.
- Designing and overseeing the nursery spaces including the purchase and management of equipment.
- To be responsible for and to oversee the day to day management, staffing, organisation and smooth running of the Nursery including the updating of policies as appropriate to be signed off by the Director.
- To develop the ethos of the Nursery and to create a welcoming and family friendly environment.
- To lead on the strategic planning, monitoring, evaluation and development of the Nursery.
- To be responsible at all times for high standards of care and education of children between 0 to five years in accordance with statutory requirements.
- To ensure the EYFS is promoted and delivered within the setting and the principles adhered to.
- To be responsible for activity admissions in line with the admissions policies.
- To develop and maintain accurate administration systems relating to the Nursery‘s activities including feedback to parents about their children’s development and progress.
- To be accountable and responsible for the day to day financial systems directly relating to the Day Nursery provision. All nursery expenses (except petty cash) require prior written approval from the Director. The NM is also expected to work closely with the day time Administrator who has bookkeeping responsibilities linked with the nursery provision.
- To keep a register and up to date records of all children using the Nursery provision and to give regular feedback to parents about their child’s development and progress.
- By 15th of each month to provide the Director with a written monthly update on nursery performance / progress including staff absences for payroll processing.
- To attend official meetings as requested by the Director.
Supervision / Management of People
The post holder will be responsible for management, supervision and appraisal of the following staff:
- Nursery Assistants
- Level 2 – 6 Workers
- Unqualified / Level 1/2 Workers
The Nursery Manager will identify staff training needs and facilitate training opportunities. The Nursery Manager will also have supervisory responsibility for the Deputy Manager but this post will report to and be appraised by the Director with input from the Nursery Manager.
From time to time there may be a requirement to manage the work of staff who are appointed for supply work or to provide supervision for students on placement.
Creativity and Innovation
The Nursery Manager will have a key role in planning and monitoring of the nursery and implementing essential policies and procedures. This will require creative thought together with an informed understanding of statutory requirements and best practice for childcare. All policies are required to be signed off by the Director before implementation.
The Nursery Manager must work to Nursery policies about Keeping Children Safe, Equal Opportunities, Data Protection and Confidentiality.
The Nursery Manager will need to understand and implement the Nursery’s policies and procedures (for example for Health and Safety) in relation to staff, buildings and resources.
Contacts and Relationships
Working relationships will include the following:
Director, all staff employed by Swiss Cottage Community Association as well as nursery personnel, Children.
- London Borough of Camden
- Parents and families
- Potentially, staff from a wide range of other agencies and settings including Social Services.
The above duties do not represent an exhaustive list and the post holder maybe required to carry out additional duties commensurate with the grade for this post as required by the Director.
Updated – November 2019